12/25/2016

Oral expression and interaction


Hello, my readers!



Today's topic is focused on oral skills and how to motivate and enhance our students' participation during a speaking activity, whatever type of exercise you may choose: individual speeches, dialogues in couples, small groups, for and against debates, one-to-one with the teacher, etc.

It might seem highly recommendable to create a comfortable atmosphere for our students not to feel embarrassed when using their SL since the very first day. 

In order to guide myself and my readers as well, the following article taken from the British Council website is offered as a stepping stone resource to deal with the most common situations when teaching ESL to teenagers.

IMAGE FROM CREATIVE COMMONS

After the previous reading, I would like to continue developing my TU "Lost in the States" where the oral expression proficiency is covered as a "Giving and asking for directions" set of activities.

To start with, we will review together the most common locations they should already know such as: the cardinal points (North, South, etc.), left and right, prepositions of place (in, on, at, in front of, next to, behind, between, etc.)

Afterwards, we will follow with some instructions: go straight on, turn left/right, pass over, etc. To be honest, the funniest way to practise this topic with lower learners  is by using realia (maps and/or a compass), and also moving around the playground, the corridors, when possible, or the classroom. However, as an alternative, students can draw their own invented cities on a piece of paper or use Google Maps (on their mobile phones).

I have prepared an extra game my students could find on my Evaluation section on the top of my blog so to have fun and study before the oral exam. It was created with Educaplay and I called "How can I get to...?"

Hope you find this post useful and comment it kindly!

Merry Christmas!



Miss Bacaicoa


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario