3/24/2017

WEEK 7 AT EOI ELX


Hello, my readers!


Monday 20th, March

On Monday I was busy upstairs preparing my lesson plan and so on.

Tuesday 21st, March

Group 09B (B2.2):
Room 15. This is the only group that Ramón Antón, EOI headmaster, teaches during this academic year. I was observing this class for my very first time and here is what it happened. My master's colleague Begoña Lavale is mentored by Ramón and so, part of today's teaching was carried out by her.


Group 11B: 
My lesson plan (16/24 SS.) / DAY 1 (2h) / Pages 98-
First of all, I had planned several warming-up questions to ask to my ss. about their sports habits. For instance: 

  • Do you do any sport?
  • How do you feel afterwards?
  • How many times a week?
  • Do you prefer to do it indoors or outdoors?

As they had already met me, we connected pretty much and a nice speaking time was shared about their experiencies beyond the classroom. Also, to contrast their personal opinions to someone else's, I asked for a volunteer to read the quotation by Stuart Heritage, a British journalist (p. 98):


"Runners run because they like running, joggers jog because they like cake." 

I wanted to lead them to a brief debate on motivation and activate their previous knowledge.

Then, I guided them to focus on the lesson's title: "A good sport" and we discussed together about its meaning (a person who is cheerful and pleasant, especially in a difficult situation). 


Taking into account only the headlines of the text "Battle of Workouts", we could practise pronunciation of the most fashionable sports nowadays: circuits, pilates, spinning, squash, step, tennis, weights, and yoga.

Without reading, just looking at the pictures and ss. tried to guess whether the statements from activity b) on page 99 were true or false. The results were highly positive in general terms.

The second part of my session was dedicated to grammar. As I decided to approach to it deductively, I told my ss. to explain what they alredy knew about relative clauses in English and complete the exercise a) on page 100. After 5 minutes of individual thinking and a couple of them more of pair "cheating" (comparison in couples), we checked it aloud and I taught them further. The following aspects had never been introduce at B2.2 level, so they were complete new for them:

  • WHICH to refer to a whole preceding clause, adding more information.
  • Quantifiers, numbers, superlatives + OF + Which / whom / whose [NON-DEFINING RELATIVE CLAUSES]4
  • WHAT used as a relative pronoun to mean 'the thing' or 'things which'.
We read together the examples on page 159 and activities a) and b) were mandatory homework for next day with me. 

The closing activity was aimed at improving their writing, patience, and promote their creativity. In order to have everything prepared in advance, I went to the classroom much earlier than ss. and moved the tables in groups of four. Furthermore, I had printed six famous paintings the day before and I left them in the middle of each team with a post-it on them with two relative pronouns. 

Ss. had to make up a story about the painting and introduce it to the audience as if they were guides in a museum. I took us between 15 and 20 minutes and they created really good stories.  

These were the pictures I gave them, all of them taken from Creative Commons:


  

 

To conclude, I let 5 minutes left for doubts.

Thursday 23rd, March

After greeting my ss., we started the session correcting the exercises they had as homework about relative clauses and completing the article (a) on the worksheet I photocopied and handed in as an extra practice paper (p. 181 from the Teacher's book). 

On the one hand, we worked on word building: adjectives - nouns - verbs related to sports and health on page 99, activities a, b, and c.

On the second hand, ss. were requiered to read the information box about homographs on page 100 and match the suitable pronunciation to their corresponding definition at the exercise below (a).

When we were about to finish, Roge suggested that they watch or read the news during the weekend and then, next Tuesday retell the others an interesting or shocking piece of news.

Miss Bacaicoa

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario